Open Door Legal is pioneering the country’s first system of universal access to civil representation and working to show that poverty will be dramatically reduced when everyone has access to the law.
We won the 2015 Google Impact Challenge and we’ve been recognized by the Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation for our innovative, results-oriented program. Long-term, we plan to replicate our services across San Francisco, making this city the first in the country with universal access to civil legal representation, and eventually to become a model for national replication.
We’re only going to achieve this if we continue our tradition of hiring the best possible people. We hire people who are passionate, team-oriented, and client-centered; who love tackling tough problems; and who believe in continuous personal growth.
We believe injustice is the heart of poverty and we invite you to join us in making a systemic impact on how we, as a society, ensure justice for the poor.
Overview of Position:
We’re hiring an employment and general litigation attorney to help us prevent wage theft, employment discrimination, retaliation, and other illegal employment practices, and also to provide litigation support to other case types. This is a multi-faceted position for someone who likes to be challenged and wants the opportunity to work in a variety of forums to ensure that even our most marginalized neighbors can benefit from the protections of the law.
Overall, this position is intended to be an extremely challenging experience for someone looking to be a highly effective legal aid attorney.
Salary is $60,000 - $65,000 depending on seniority and experience.
- Own/manage at least 10-20 employment cases. Assist in litigation in other cases as directed. Approximately 50% of the candidate’s time will be working on non-employment cases.
- Be flexible: that is, be willing to appear in court on short notice when necessary. This includes a willingness to appear for and argue motions for summary judgment on housing matters.
- Provide culturally and economically sensitive services and support to our low-income clients.
- Embrace our mission of universal access to civil legal aid and make sure that we are meeting the employment law-related needs of the residents in our service area.
- Work collaboratively with co-counsel where appropriate.
- Membership in good standing with the California State Bar. Applicants without active California bar membership will not be considered. However, those without a license are encouraged to apply to volunteer with us at opendoorlegal.org/volunteer.
- Must have experience appearing in court.
- Must have experience preparing, responding to, and filing pleadings and motions.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team and willing to share attribution for success.
- Five-plus years of experience in the practice of law.
- Familiarity with employment law.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Experience working in legal aid.
- Having lived a significant period of your life in San Francisco proper.
- We are a fast-growing nonprofit that offers significant opportunities for professional growth.
- We offer a fun and challenging work environment for anyone who's passionate about making a difference.
- We use best-in-class technology solutions, including Salesforce and Google Apps.
- Full-time employees are eligible for medical benefits, four weeks paid time off per year, a retirement plan, and flexible hours (20% remote is possible).
Applications received before March 15, 2019 will be given priority