“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” - Nelson Mandela
We believe that even the biggest problems can be broken down into small, achievable steps. Poverty and access to justice are part of the same problem. And to solve this, we just need to discover what the steps are.
At Open Door Legal (ODL), we’re pioneering the country’s first system of universal access to civil legal representation to dramatically reduce poverty and prove that the law really can belong to all of us.
To achieve this ambitious goal, we’ve created an award-winning and best-in-class legal aid organization full of passionate, motivated, gritty, thoughtful, and team-oriented people.
We believe that injustice is the heart of poverty and we're looking for someone to join us in having a systemic impact on how we, as a society, ensure justice for all.
Overview of Position:
As a rapidly growing and innovative nonprofit organization, we are seeking an experienced software engineering professional to join our innovation team at Open Door Legal as a Lead Developer. This work will lay the foundation to create a data-driven universal legal aid ‘operating system’ to solve poverty in cities. It takes a unified and diverse team focused on our core values to achieve this goal.
As Lead Developer, you will be responsible for all things technical including the development of our platform architecture, partner integrations, and data pipelines. Additionally, you have the opportunity to shape how our growing team collaborates, ships software, and delivers high-quality technical solutions. If you’re looking to make a lot of impact and be at the forefront of an exciting opportunity, please consider applying! You are encouraged to apply even if you don’t tick all the boxes.
This role can be remote or based in the San Francisco Bay Area and will report directly to the Director of Strategy and Innovation.
- Technical Excellence. Drive the technical architecture of our platform. Help solve a variety of problems on our platform by using data and software engineering to influence the experience of our internal staff and stakeholders to solve poverty.
- Drive for Results. Design, build, and scale a production-ready platform (ideation, prototype, staging, and release) that integrates with Salesforce (manage our current Salesforce schema), has custom functionality, and prioritizes data integrity.
- Customer Focus and Communication. Take complex technology and explain it in a simple digestible way to our internal staff and external non-profit partners. Help to foster a spirit of innovation and collaboration.
- Foster an inclusive team environment. Work with others, understanding their needs, and how technology can help power our impact at scale.
Who is suited for this role? We are looking for the following skill set, passions, and experience:
- A passionate advocate who is committed to Open Door Legal’s mission of providing universal access to legal representation to solve poverty in cities. You must resonate with Open Door Legal’s values of teamwork, caring, grit, resilience, and dynamism.
- Passion for learning. We believe that anyone can solve the biggest problems facing humanity today with a growth mindset. Learning new concepts quickly and evolving our default processes to meet the needs of our teams and partners is a must.
- Must genuinely enjoy and be motivated by building technology solutions that impact our low-income clients, the vast majority of whom are people of color.
- Software Engineering Experience with Object-Oriented Programming Languages such as Java, C++, Python to build our backend infrastructure. Experience with the Salesforce development environment (including their programming language Apex) is a plus, but not required.
- Software Engineering best practices and development standards. Should be familiar with software development practices including version control (ideally Git), unit testing, software packaging, software release management, using built-in libraries, making API requests, managing access permissions, writing documentation, running shell scripts, , and relational databases.
The annual salary range for this position is $82,500 - $98,500 based on experience.
- Loan Repayment Assistance - for staff pursuing 10-year public interest debt forgiveness, we will pay the minimum payment on all qualifying loans so that you don’t need to worry about student loan debt (this is a conditional benefit).
- Medical/Dental/Vision Plan offerings at 100% coverage
- Generous paid time off & paid parental leave
- Subsidized mental health benefit
- Flexible work hours
- 401K/Retirement Account
- We believe everyone is always learning. We financially invest in individual learning plans for each staff member and provide many internal and external mentorships, coaching, and learning opportunities (conferences, workshops, etc.).
- We are a fun and hard-working office with best-in-class technology solutions for anyone who’s passionate about making a meaningful and measurable difference.
Applications received before November 15, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
Open Door Legal is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal records, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at whitney [at] opendoorlegal [dot] org.
Black Lives Matter