“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” - Nelson Mandela
We believe that even the biggest problems can be broken down into small, achievable steps. We believe poverty and access to justice are part of the same problem. And to solve this, we just need to discover what the steps are.
At Open Door Legal, we’re pioneering the country’s first system of universal access to civil legal representation to dramatically reduce poverty and prove that the law really can belong to all of us. We’ve grown 100x since our founding and in the next 3 years, we hope to finish scaling across San Francisco and eventually become a model across the county.
To achieve this ambitious goal, we’ve created an award-winning and best-in-class legal aid organization full of creative, results-oriented people.
We believe that injustice is the heart of poverty and we're looking for someone to join us in having a systemic impact on how we, as a society, ensure justice for all.
Overview of Position:
Delivering on the promise of universal access requires managing high complexity and effectively working with a wide variety of stakeholders. We’re hiring a new executive team member to effectively build processes, solve problems, provide strategic insight, and enable us to continue rapidly growing.
The Director of Innovation & Strategy builds relationships with individuals across our organization. They think analytically to identify new opportunities and streamline workflows. This person is a “doer” who can make quick decisions, get their hands dirty, and get projects done. They will cross-train on financial and talent management functions, use design thinking principles to understand process issues and build solutions, and manage our software development team to implement tech or UX changes.
This role is best suited for someone versatile, with strong relationship management skills, and an appreciation for well-designed processes. A successful candidate must excel in handling ambiguous situations, be data-driven, thrive in unstructured learning environments, and love building efficient, high-impact organizations. Successful candidates must also demonstrate great leadership skills, including the ability to communicate a vision effectively across all levels to both internal and external audiences. Success in this role requires grit, dynamism, teamwork, care, and passion (our five values as an organization). You will report directly to our Executive Director and participate in all executive decisions.
- Lead operational change management efforts and participate in all executive and strategic decisions to ensure that Open Door Legal’s staff is as efficient and high-impact as possible.
- Manage the productization for the Open Door Case Management App (built on Salesforce). This includes managing our software development team and helping to design and prioritize features.
- Lead implementation and promotion of our app with partner organizations.
- Be responsible for ensuring that the program staff has the tech support needed to efficiently work at a high volume.
- Manage analytics, data science, and research projects, including effective management of data science/research volunteers and academic publication of results.
- Design and implement new business processes as Open Door Legal scales.
- Cross-train on all financial and talent management functions, provision software, and other components of our tech stack.
- Manage other special projects that fall outside of established roles.
- Effectively manage skilled volunteers to help accomplish all the above.
- Embrace and embody our values of teamwork, grit, caring, passion, and dynamic.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience, including at least three years of management experience.
- Must have an understanding of design-thinking methods and experience with process design.
- Must have demonstrated an enthusiasm for and commitment to self-learning and professional development.
- Must have demonstrated interpersonal skills to excel in providing constructive feedback to people you supervise and in building relationships with other organizations and agencies as an ambassador of Open Door Legal.
- Must demonstrate cultural humility and enthusiasm to create processes accessible to and that amplify the voices of underrepresented people groups.
- Must be extremely passionate about reducing poverty, ensuring access to justice, and nonprofit operational excellence.
- Must live within commutable distance of San Francisco or be willing to relocate
- Experience managing operations at a high-growth organization.
- Obtained a Juris Doctorate and/or MBA.
- Experience with product management.
- Experience with software development or programming.
- Experience with data modeling or analytics.
- Experience working with low-income and vulnerable populations.
- Experience working in a human services nonprofit.
- Having lived a significant period of your life in San Francisco proper.
- Strong organizational culture with an eNPS of 100
- Loan Repayment Assistance - for staff pursuing 10-year public interest debt forgiveness, we will help pay the minimum payment on all qualifying loans so that you don’t need to worry about student loan debt (this is a conditional benefit).
- We offer competitive benefits:
- Medical/Dental/Vision (100% employer covered on certain plans)
- Generous paid time off per year
- Flexible work hours
- Paid Parental Leave
- We believe everyone is always learning. We write individual learning plans for each staff member and provide many internal and external mentorships, coaching, and learning opportunities (conferences, workshops, etc.).
- We are a fun and hard-working office with best-in-class technology solutions (including Salesforce) for anyone who's passionate about making a meaningful and measurable difference.
Black Lives Matter