Open Door Legal is pioneering the country’s first system of universal access to civil representation and working to show that when everyone has access to the law, poverty will be dramatically reduced.
We won the 2015 Google Impact Challenge and we’ve been recognized by the Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation for our innovative, results-oriented program. Long-term, we plan to replicate our services across San Francisco, make this city the first in the country with universal access to civil legal representation, and become a model for national replication.
We’re only going to achieve this if we continue our tradition of hiring the best possible people. We hire people who are extremely passionate, quixotic, love tackling tough problems, client-centered and believe in continuous personal growth.
We believe injustice is the heart of poverty and we invite you to join us in having a systemic impact on how we, as a society, ensure justice for the poor.
Overview of Position:
We’re hiring a paralegal/legal secretary to provide critical support to our consumer, affirmative litigation, employment, elder law/estate planning and immigration teams. In these teams, we help immigrants obtain status, remedy fraud perpetrated across marginalized populations, prevent displacement by drafting living trusts and more. The work is high-pace, high-volume, and involves significant work with court forms, filing, translation (if applicable), investigations, discovery and client management.
You will also be part of the three person office support team that keeps the office running smoothly and enables us to serve the community. We expect the paralegal/legal secretary to represent our organization and values to a wide variety of stakeholders, including with other organizations.
Overall, this position is intended to be a challenging yet extremely rewarding experience for someone looking to make a difference with an innovative, results-oriented organization.
Salary is $50,000
- Your main responsibility will be processing timely and high-quality filings, mailings, and service of process for the attorneys that you support.
- You will start by supporting three attorneys with the understanding that our organization is growing and we be hiring two more attorneys in these practices areas in the next 6 months.
- Assist our attorneys with court forms, discovery, filing, investigations, interviews, and other areas appropriate to your interest and expertise.
- Work closely with clients and the consumer attorney to fill out the bankruptcy schedules for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
- Cover reception as a back-up for our front-desk coordinator (this is split between you and our other paralegal).
- Provide intake note-taking support as needed.
- Provide interpretation and translation for Spanish-speaking or Cantonese-speaking clients, if applicable.
- Embrace our mission of universal access to civil legal aid and make sure that the needs of residents in our service area are met.
- Comfortableness with technology and case management systems.
- Must genuinely enjoy working with low-income clients and be able to work well with clients who have experienced trauma.
- Must be culturally competent and sensitive to barriers Bayview/Hunters Point residents face when attempting to access the justice system.
- Some experience in the legal field and/or office environment.
- Must be willing to make a two-year commitment to the organization.
- Comfortable practicing, translating and interpreting in Cantonese/written Chinese.
- Comfortable practicing, translating and interpreting in Spanish.
- A paralegal certificate.
- A college degree.
- Previous experience as a paralegal or legal secretary.
- Knowledge of California civil procedure, estate planning, employment and/or consumer law.
- Knowledge of federal immigration and/or bankruptcy law.
- Experience working with low-income and vulnerable populations.
- Experience working in a high-volume legal aid or similar environment.
- Having lived a significant period of your life in San Francisco proper.
- Previous experience using Salesforce.
- We offer a fun and challenging work environment for anyone who's passionate about making a difference.
- We use best-in-class technology solutions, including Salesforce.
- We also offer medical benefits, four weeks of paid time off per year, a retirement plan, and flexible hours.
Applications received before October 3, 2018 will be given priority